- ABOUT SOHO
- OUR HISTORIC SITES
- TOURS & EVENTS
- PRESERVATION RESOURCES
Brief History of Ranch Guejito
By Bruce Coons
The 13,298.59 acre Rancho Guejito y Cañada de Palomia was granted in 1845 to José María Orozco by Mexican Governor Manuel Micheltorena. Pronounced (wah-hee-to) meaning pebbles or small stream probably coming from the word aguajito. Cañada de Palomia loosely translates as "glen of the dove" from the same origin as the adjacent Palomar Mountain.
Drawing of the Vineyard Ranch from History of San Diego County, 1883, Wallace Elliot
Orozco was married to Guadalupe Alvarado of the prominent San Diego family that had a string of Ranchos from the Mexican border to, what is now Pomona California, where the 1837 Casa Alvarado adobe, owned by the author, still stands. Orozco is credited with firing from Presidio Hill on the American flag raising in Old Town when American Troops occupied the town during the Mexican War. Luckily for Albert Smith who had climbed the flagpole to nail up the flag, Orozco's shots did not find their mark.
The next owner was Captain George W. Hamley who captained the ship "Stonington" when it came to San Diego in the 1840's as California fell into American hands. The Rancho went through several owners after Hamley until it came into the hands of a Frenchman named Jean C.Cazaurang. He built a large adobe house on the ranch that is believed to incorporate parts of one of the Orozco adobes. The deteriorated remains of this house are still present on the rancho. Eventually Cazaurang and his wife separated and Jean was shot and killed by a cowboy in Nevada.
left The Cazaurang adobe, 1944; right Visitors at the historic Vineyard Ranch.
left Visitors at the historic Vineyard Ranch; right Winery at the Vineyard Ranch.
left Aerial of Rancho Guejito, 1969, Cecil C. Moyer; right Visitors at the winery at the Vineyard Ranch.
MORE FROM THIS ISSUE
DOWNLOAD full magazine as pdf (15.4mb)