The Whaley House Museum Hiring Part-Time Shift Supervisor/Head Docent
The position of the Whaley House Museum head docent and shift supervisor covers a broad spectrum of tasks and responsibilities, the goal of which is to ensure that visitors are provided with an enjoyable and educational experience, and that museum operations run smoothly.
Docents serve as hosts to provide a welcoming atmosphere. In many cases they are the museum's "front line" representatives. Serving as interpreters of the museum, they help to give visitors a deeper understanding and appreciation of the stories and history of the site.
Visit SOHOsandiego.org and Whaleyhouse.org for more information about SOHO's mission and the Whaley House.
Description of Responsibilities
- Responsible for training and daily supervision of docents (staff/volunteer, adult/youth) in the performance of their daily functions in the museum.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with SOHO's policies and acceptable laws.
- Interacts positively and professionally with senior staff, site colleagues and subordinates at all times.
- Addresses customer or docent complaints or issues and resolves problems.
- Ensures compliance of docents with established security and safety procedures and practices.
- Cooperates with curatorial staff regarding care and oversight of the museum's historic resources and artifacts.
- Leads after-hours tours and assists with special events as needed.
- Performs other duties as required by management.
- Ability to speak confidently and comfortably, with the ability to speak and read English fluently, in front of culturally diverse audiences of varying ages.
- Basic problem-solving skills.
- Basic writing skills.
- Ability to adapt and be flexible in a dynamic work environment.
- Working days, evenings, weekends, holidays as needed.
- Standing for long periods of time.
- Climbing and descending stairs.
- Lifting and carrying up to 50 pounds.
- Walking, stooping, bending, reaching.
- Reliable transportation is a must.
- Strong customer service skills; ability to make each visitor feel welcome.
- Previous supervisory experience.
- Fluency in one or more languages in addition to English.
- An interest in historic buildings and local history.
- Should be able to handle the stress and strain of a busy tourist destination site.
- Previous house museum experience a plus.
$12/hr. Approximately 4-5 days per week during summer and other high tourist and holiday seasons, fewer days during other times of the year. Weekend, days, nights and holiday work required.
Apply online HERE