Save Our Heritage Organisation
South Park Historic District
The district is called "South Park," and is roughly North of A Street, South of Elm Street, West of 31st Street, and East of Balboa Park. (Shown above in blue.)
- A survey conducted in 1996 of the area buildings proposed a historic district boundary that lies within the original South Park subdivision map and also includes part of the Seaman and Choate subdivision map. These maps adjoin in the middle of several blocks. The original proposal and the traditional historical district boundary are being evaluated. The actual Historic District nomination may be brought forward in several phases due to the quantity of high quality buildings in the subdivision.
- Major benefits of historical designation include preservation of one of the oldest and most intact neighborhoods in San Diego, higher property values for all homes within the district and qualification for a Mills Act Agreement. The Mills Act program is currently undergoing an overview; at present, the benefits are a 30-70% reduction of property taxes.
- Various architectural styles are represented in this district and research will reveal the Master Architects and builders who built in South Park.
- A community meeting will be held to provide information on historic districts in general and will be announced here as soon as the details are known. The meeting will focus on the process and be used to determine the interest level in the community. For some of the most frequently asked questions and answers, click HERE.
- The location of residents who demonstrate the most support for the historic district will help us determine where to start the first phase of the process. If you and your neighbors have been following the progress of other historic districts recently formed by resident involvement and want to secure a district for South Park, then join us in getting the word out to your neighbors. In the meantime, we look forward to meeting with the community.
- Please contact SOHO at SOHOsandiego@aol.com to become involved or register your support to move forward. This project is being done using a combination of volunteers, interns and professional consultants. However it will depend solely on the support of the community. Funds to proceed must be raised by the community. SOHO has no funding for this project. It is being used as a model for future programming and will depend solely on the South Park community to see to fruition.
|| Donate to the
South Park District Fund
Copyright ©2009, Save Our Heritage Organisation. Copyright Warning